Re: [Harp-L] Comb test

Having disinfected harmonicas umpteen thousand times at SPAH Test 2 (I was the Official Comb Washer), I won't offer an opinion as to the outcome, but I can interject the following. One of the major reasons for using Vern's ingenious quick change apparatus to swap out the combs quickly was one of hygiene due to the the lack of the required number of "private" instruments for each artist. (A secondary reason was that Vern's quick change frame also had an extra weight to mask weight differences between the various combs tested). I can't recall the exact number of measurements per artist. Even though it seemed like a couple hundred at the time, it was probably more like 20. Having to change combs and then disinfect the test apparatus between each and every player caused inordinate delays between measurements, which in turn introduced additional uncertainties (and frustrations) into the test.

So with this renewed interest, those practical problems could be overcome if one or more harmonica manufacturers would donate the required number of instruments and customizers like Matt and David would see that the playing field was level by providing materials and/or time and expertise to ensure that the instruments aren't leaky, etc.

I just know one thing. I ain't scrubbin' harmonicas eight thousand times in one sitting ever again!

Michelle