Re: [Harp-L] Emboss gone wrong.

From the Elk River Institute for Advanced Harmonica Studies, Embossing 101:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFQFA4zfJo

David Payne
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Elk River Harmonicas Forum now available via Iphone app, www.elkriverharmonicas.com/forum

________________________________
 From: Matthew Smart <matthewsmart@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Lloyd Short <lloyd.arthur.short@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx; David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Emboss gone wrong.

The first thing you need is a lightbox. It allows you to place the reeds on a lighted flat surface and then you can see exactly when to stop embossing! You can find these at art stores like Dick Blick around 30 dollars. I will do a video on this at some point. Dave Payne did a great pizza box video I dont have the link. Hopefully he will post it on here (he uses a pizza box to show a larger example of embossing technique).

2nd, is to have some shim stock so you can run it along the sides of the reeds and the slots and remove the burrs than can cause problems.

When  I emboss, I use these tools (mentioned above) and also constantly plink to the reed to make sure it is not hitting the slot as I work. Most of the work I do is on 1-6 draw reeds, some on blow reeds and some on overblows. For beginners, 7 - 10 draw not necessary unless you are doing overdraw setup.

For beginners, I would only recommend doing the top 2/3 of the slot and not at the very base (small reward, lots of room for error going that low).

You really need a good embossing tool. I use two of them that are not available for resale. Dick Sjoebergs UST is helpul. I dont know what tools you are using and what harps, but you can check out some of the videos and tools I offer. Including a seydel all in one wrench ,embossing tool, video, and reed gapper made by Sjoeberg here www.harptools.com. Its called Seydel soundcheck or I call it the Seydel multi-tool. Plus the video included shows you how to emboss.

Also, a penny works well or rounded socket. The key is to do it lightly, newer harps dont need it much as they have improved slot tolerances including hohner recently.

If you have to un-emboss, you can slide the reed over with a reed wrench and gently rub some fine sandpaper in the slot. Count your strokes, probably 5 on each side will do the trick. Dont do it too much or it will be very leaky. You can also gently scrape with an exacto blade dipped in mineral oil for smooth cutting. Again, it may not take much. BUT you must have a light box or other good light source to do this kind of precision work!

Im sure there many other things I will think of later, but this is off the top of my head!

Good luck.

Matthew
hetrickharmonica.com