Re: [Harp-L] Re: Chris M.

On Oct 23, 2012, at 6:23 PM, David Fairweather wrote:

> I'm not following you Joe.  Maybe I didn't describe the challenge sufficiently.  It's basically just to play the famous riff in all three positions for a blues.

Ok Dave, that's where 'I' get confused. I thought you wanted it played (as you wrote) reliably and seamlessly in the style to do justice to the song. I didn't think of it as a blues. And I WILL admit that it isn't easy to do off the cuff and on the first take. It would take a bit of work. As for the rest, yes on the IV, but I don't recall having trouble on the low end and can't recall having to overblow anything. I experienced lots of bends.

> If I'm in 2nd position the tonic riff is easy.  Doing that same riff over the IV is tough unless I drop down an octave to overblow #2 hole.  But to play it in the proper octave you need both #4 and #6 overblows.   And the V chord needs the #5 overblow.

And yes on the 5 overblow.

> Putting all that together smoothly is easier said than done but I'm sure Jason and others could do it.

Yes, easier said than done, but I was able to get close on maybe a couple tries. I think if I were to do it at a gig, I would run over it maybe a few more times. So, in essence, I agree..after a fashion. But it's doable.

smo-joe