Re: [Harp-L] Flying Your Gear

I can’t speak for US airports but, having watched Spanish baggage handlers last weekend carefully passing our guitars and saxes down from the hold rather than putting them on the conveyor, I live in hope. Harps and mics come with me and occasionally cause some excitement at the scanner but pedals and leads go in with my clothes and my guitar takes its chance in the hold too. I would never travel with a ’32 Duolian or even a nice electric, mind you: I have an easily replaceable, Japanese made Telecaster in a flightcase for flying. I should love to take an amp but it simply isn’t practical for a band of our size.

Our guitarist has an interesting approach: he takes his guitar as far as the gate where it is put straight in the hold, rather than being exposed to the airport’s mechanical handling system and the scrutiny of baggage handlers.

Mark