RE: [Harp-L] Ashokan Farewell

It's tough. You have the tune going down into the uninhabited bottom end on a 10-hole diatonic (or a 364) as well as that pesky C natural that can't be got by bending. I use a D chrom if I'm needed to play the unadorned melody (a D chrom because that's what I have for occasional use in Irish tunes), but if someone else is playing the melody I can do a good bit of harmonising, which I can vary, on a D harp. You can, of course, play the "A" part without difficulty on a D diatonic, or you can harmonise it, so you have some options if you're with other melody players. You could try it on a valved diatonic or an XB40 but you have to be good at holding a longish bend in tune if you do. I find it's a tune that needs a fair bit of inventiveness from the band in order for it not to drag. It can sound nice on a chromatic, I think!