Re: [Harp-L] The Singing Harp-Player?

A fast swing/shuffle, such as "Flip, Flop, and Fly".

A medium-fast shuffle, such as "Sweet Home, Chicago" (I've been told that this is so entrenched that it's almost cliche, so what would be an excuse NOT to know it?)  Or a medium-slow shuffle such as Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want Me to Do?" or "Aw Shucks, Hush Your Mouth".

A fast non-shuffle, such as "Got My Mojo Working" (train beat).

Then look for a slow and/or minor blues that you like and can deliver.  (I'm still looking for the right one for me.  "Blues With a Feeling" is one of my current candidates, but the melody has some tricky bits that make it not a foolproof choice.  Most of the slow blues I listen to seem to have a third-or-so verse that is highly gender-dependent and not suitable for a middle-aged woman to sing, and not readily adaptable.  Phooey.)

For open jams, I suggest not being too eager to introduce songs that deviate from the standard 12-bar form:  It can all start to sound the same, but having it be easy for the band is a good thing until/unless you're more sure of the musicians you're working with.  Vary the key (within what your voice can do), the tempo, and the groove before you vary the form.  And don't limit yourself to songs done by the great harmonica players.  You can add a harmonica solo to anything, and a jam full of guitar players may feel comfortable with songs by some of the great blues guitar players.  In addition to Muddy Waters, I recommend listening to B.B. King and T-Bone Walker, for starters.

I am putting a lot of focus on trying to grow my vocal repertoire, this year.  It's starting to come more easily, but it's still a struggle.

Elizabeth H. (aka "Tin Lizzie", Big Mama Thornton wannabe)