[Harp-L] bluegrass chop?

The mandolin "chop" is akey bluegrass backup move. Essentially you are playing on the offbeat, to sound right you have to hit it right in the middle. This takes some practice.

I use tongued octaves a lot, in particular the 1-4 (draw and blow) and the 2-6 blow. I find they are less intrusive, and blend better than the usual harmonica "chugging" combinations, i.e. 1-2 draw.

If you're playing with a group, or in a jam, the idea is for your chop to blend perfectly with the mandolin, so that you more or less disappear, all the while adding to the sound. Try this with you backing tracks, also at your next jam. In particular, keep your backing volume low, concentrate on blending. Your chance to stand out is during your solo. Laying out and not playing at all is a good strategy, maybe add your chop during the chorus, keep quiet during the verses.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays