Re: [Harp-L] Self Image, Mental Rehersal, and Dr Maltz

"Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner is another fantastic resource regarding how to approach your instrument, practice included.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Sleigh <rharp@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Oct 2, 2012 9:31 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Self Image, Mental Rehersal, and Dr Maltz

The recent threads on practice and Lee Sankey's Brainstruments concept all have
to do with how we create our experience with music and the harmonica by using
our imagination.

One of the greatest resources for anyone interested in this connection between
mind, imagination, and results is the book "Psycho Cybernetics", originally
published by Maxwell Maltz in 1960. This book has sold over 30 million copies
and for good reason: it spells out in clear language how our sub conscious mind
works, and how we can re program our subconscious mind to reach our true
potential in any area of our life.

It is hard to over state the influence Dr Maltz has had on the human potential
movement, and anyone writing and thinking about the inner game. Dr Maltz coined
the phrase "self image" and described how self image acts as a thermostat or
cruise control that will kick us into action if we fall below a certain level
and also yank us back down from levels of brilliance or performance that are
"too high".

He also describes how to raise the level of brilliance our self image allows us
to have with exercises such as "Theatre of the Mind" - a form of mental practice
or mental rehearsal. This is where Dr Maltz's work connects to what Steve Baker
is talking about and Lee Sankey's ideas.

I could go on and on about thisâ And I have - here are a couple of articles on
Psycho-Cybernetics and Dr Maltz:

http://rsleigh.com/the-psycho-series-1/

http://rsleigh.com/psycho-series-2-the-power-of-no/

As my dad used to say -"now that's using your head for something more than a
hatrack"

I get really excited about mental rehearsal and self image re-engineering
because I have used these techniques many times to  launch myself into some of
my greatest adventuresâ.  and I feel like I am just scratching the surface with
these tools. So I write to remind myself about these things as well as encourage
others to dig into Dr Maltz's workâ.

Richard Sleigh

P.O. Box 23
Boalsburg PA 16827

Join my list & get entertaining emails and special offers- go to
http://rsleigh.com/ on the left hand side, give me your name & email & you're
in!

http://www.rsleigh.com