From: Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Oct 1, 2012 7:12 am
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Practice makes better

One type of practicing, which all the pro musicians I've spoken to about it
unanimously agree is something they do frequently, is practicing mentally
without an instrument. I certainly do so myself. This is related to Lee Sankey's
groundbreaking concept of "Brainstruments", the mental model of the instrument
which every accomplished player on any instrument has internalized. The exact
nature of this model varies considerably from one person to another but a highly
developed mental model is thought to be one of the things which distinguishes
creative improvisers from those who basically repeat patterns they've learned.

I've invited Lee to give a special seminar on this fascinating subject at the
Harmonica Masters Workshops in Trossingen. This year will be the biggest
Harmonica Masters ever, with around 120 registrations to date. Lee's class is on
Saturday November 3rd. More info at www.harmonica-masters.de

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.european-music-workshops.com