[Harp-L] Bitchin' back up amp EHX Magnum 44

I have been using one of these for about a year as a light weight amp for
sitting in, using a Shure 585AV through a small cab with a 10" Eminence Lil
Buddy speaker, which has dark tone and is loud.  When I play a gig, I bring
one of my tube amps, but when I might sit in with friends in an amplified
band, I bring the Magnum 44.  With non amplified blue bands, or if sitting
in for a song, I use the PA.  These bands had indicated that if they offer
for me to sit in for a set or more they preferred that I bring an amp
rather than use the PA, so I got this amp to avoid hauling my vintage amps
around on the chance of being asked to sit in.  It is wonderful to have the
trust of good local bands.  I have established a decent rep in this town,
and am often asked to sit in by many local bands.

The 44 provides acceptable tone and good volume, and has smooth distortion
when turned past 12 O'clock.  It is not a substitute for a Bassman with a
bullet.  I like it best with the 585AV, with the EHX switch to normal EQ.
I have used it with just the mic alone, sometimes with an EQ, and
sometimes with delay.  I have successfully used it on many occasions with
blues bands without using the PA, including local bands Kilborn Alley and
with the Impalas. At first they were amused by the small size of the amp
and cab, but I was heard with decent tone over their considerable amplified
volume and the little amp gained respect.

The 44 Magnum can only be matched with 8 or 16 ohm cabinets, so it has some
limitations.  It would be a good backup amp on the road if you thought that
your tube amp might fail, as you could use the speakers in your regular amp
with the EHX.  Rick Davis recently listed one for sale at $100 that he had
reviewed for his blog.

Doug S.