Re: [Harp-L] Cheapo amp for a Digitech RP?

martin oldsberg wrote:
<What do you people find you can get away with when it comes to an amp thatÂs only going to serve an <RP 150 pedal? (Or if I at some point later chose to upgrade to whatever other type of amp emulator.)
<  Keyboard amps are sometimes mentioned (they sound pretty awful when playing the harp directly into <them in my experience) but the price range is considerable.
<  Laneys, I have found are rather poverty adjusted, which suits me, but I donÂt know if they do the <job?

An RP150 makes sounds as good as any other amp modeler in the Digitech series--it just doesn't have all the features that come with the higher-priced models, e.g. not so many amp and cabinet models, not so many effects, etc. Where the devices overlap, they sound pretty much exactly the same.  So when you talk about upgrading, it's really about variety, not quality. (I like the added variety plenty, so I use an RP355.)  In fact, I developed my latest Champ patches, one of which I'm using on my recording of Brian Maw's "So Sweet" at hunterharp.com, on the RP155, then ported them over to all the other RPs because I thought they sounded so good.

In effect, that means there's no real difference between choosing an amp "that's only going to serve an RP150 pedal" and an amp that's going to serve a higher-priced amp modeler.  The RP150 puts out a big sound; you need an amp that can handle a big sound.

I therefore recommend an amp with a minimum 10" speaker, especially if you like to use octave dividers or low-pitched harps.  EQ isn't necessary, though for a lot of amps it'll be there in some form, because you can control EQ very well from the pedal device.  Effects aren't necessary either, since the RP or another amp modeler provides plenty of its own FX. 45-50 watts of transistor power is about the minimum, with 100 preferred.  A line-out with a 1/4" or XLR jack is preferred, so you can run a line to a PA when you need to get much louder than the amp can.

The Peavey KB2 keyboard amp fits the above description and sells for $250 new. I own two of them, and I like the way they sound.  Behringer makes low-priced keyboard amps in various ranges of size and power that should work well with an amp modeler, thought I've never used one.  I recall from reading user reviews on harmony-central.com and musiciansfriend.com that some of the Behringer keyboard amps are better-sounding and more reliable than others, so I'd look for online reviews before ordering.

If I upgrade my own rig, I'll upgrade to a pair of powered speakers, probably 12" speakers or thereabouts, which are available for $200-300 apiece from vendors like Mackie and Behringer. That would allow me to run my rig in stereo, which is very cool for FX like flanging and rotary speaker.

A keyboard amp or powered speaker with an RP will definitely do the job.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick