Re: [Harp-L] Good chromatics for a beginner

Most out of the box chromatics (at lower price levels) have some leakage problems and make it hard to learn. Especially in my case with doing a lot of 3rd position. I recently tried the hohner 270 deluxe (not to be confused with regular 270) and it was a lot better, with an improved mouthpiece.

THEN, I got one of Dave Payne's optimized chromatics and I was REALLY impressed. Part of his custom work is that he takes the slide assembly apart and eliminates the leakage problems. 2nd, he upgrades the mouth piece on it to the one used on the saxony. I found that I am not running out of air as much and the lower notes are a lot easier. I was so impressed, I started selling it for him:

http://www.hetrickharmonica.com/chromaticharmonica_p/elkchro.htm

Oh, and it is cheaper than the 270 deluxe