To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Inapproriate playing

The worst time I was "Gus ed" was here in Scotland, at an "open mic" only
a few months ago...It was in a pub, miles from anywhere, in a suburb some
miles from Glasgow. There was a folk singer playing harmonica on a rack and
guitar... He did his 3 songs... Then after a few more performers, I went on
stage with an acoustic guitarist to play OUR three songs...
Half way through the first tune... I thought "My GOODNESS... I'm not
playing that garbage!"... The other guy who already had his "3 songs" was
playing harp OVER my harmonica... It spoiled the whole thing for me.
If he had said: "Can I sit in with you both" It would have been FINE.
We could have taken turns.. But he made a terrible noise... Which put me
off what I was playing. Perhaps I am over sensitive, but it RUINED my
evening!
In my opinion, people should NEVER play any musical instrument while other
artists are playing, without ASKING FIRST... And if the artists agree, the
guest should get up on stage, and wait to be directed to an available
mic... If the artists say "NO"... JUST DO NOT DO IT!
There was also another drunk,... when playing at a bar called "Prince of
Denmark" in South London. Oh, 10 or 15 years ago... We called the bar "The
Prince of Darkness".... It was that grim.. A drunk staggered over.. Grabbed
one of my harmonicas... and said "Hey...I play the mouth organ" and started
playing a C# harp in a tune that was in "E"...
I managed to get the drunk off the stage... I said "Keep the harmonica "
He said "Will you sign it for me?" I said... NO.

Johhn "Whiteboy" Walden,
English harmonicist,
Just now in Bonnie Scotland.