 From: John Kally <jkally3@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:37 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] New chromatic method

Hi folks,
Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but I just purchased the new "Method for Chromatic Harmonica" by Max De Aloe (Sher Music, $30 USD). Got mine from Jamey Abersold, but I'm sure it is available all over.  I saw it listed, figured it would be yet another "how to play harmonica in ten minutes" book but absolutely not the case here.  Really nice package, looks very thorough (no, I haven't played through the whole thing yet!),  147 pages plus a CD.  Most of the tracks have original  melodies  played with a rhythm section at reasonable tempos, and then the backing track again with the melody out.   Has recommendations inside from Toots, Hendrik Muerkens, and some other great players.  Not an improvisation book  directly but a thoughtful, systematic approach to learning the instrument (FYI, no tab, every example is in notation, good thing I can read a little) with lots of other resources cited.  Max clearly knows his stuff, as can be seen by a
 quick Youtube search of some o!
f his videos.   Really a bargain, I think, for someone looking to spend some serious time on chromatic.