RE: [Harp-L] Classical Sub-30

> Roger posted:

> David Fairweather wrote:
> "And if it was played on a diatonic harmonica with each note perfectly in tune, then it wouldn't sound
> much like a diatonic harmonica would it?  I like the slightly bluesy effect that the diatonic adds to the piece."
>
> I agree with David. I enjoyed this piece as something a bit eccentric and entertaining. I have come to expect those possessing rather lofty impressions of their own skill will often need
> to set themselves apart by finding some error, dysfunction, or limitation in others.  They do really know what they are talking about, but become far too
> dismissive and often unkind in doing so. I believe much can be learned by people who classify others as lesser players.  Eyes and minds just need to be open.
>
> The Eastern philosophies fundamentally teach moderation in the form of not letting egoism get in the way of appreciation and learning.  It is tantamount to placing blinders visually.
> Our musical culture, IMHO, has much of this, which isn't to say critique isn't valid or valuable...but so much of it depends how criticism is presented, and, more importantly, how it's perceived.
>
> I expect to get lambasted over these comments but they represent my credo.  Roger

My impressions and critique have no deeper implications other than being
 my opinion and representing my credo. I feel that we on Harp-l and society in general tend to
sugarcoat most things. (everyone in soccer or baseball gets a trophy,
aww!) Everything presented is not awe inspiring to everyone and healthy
critique can point out what people need to work on to make a performance
 better. "Losing" and imperfection are essential tools for learning and improvement.

Harmonica content: I have known very good musicians (guitar
players, keyboard players, etc) who wouldn't Know good harp playing from
 bad or mediocre playing. I feel if similar playing by someone on guitar
 or keys was witnessed by them, they would probably cringe.

IMHO, honest critique helps to raise the bar for our generally low expectations instrument.

Michael Peloquin
The West Coast Harmonica Summit DVD has been released:

http://www.jazzharmonicasummit.com/

http://www.amazon.com/West-Coast-Jazz-Harmonica-Summit/dp/B003UL1BPY

It was an amazing night of harmonica, and now you can witness it even if you weren’t there! Buy your copy today!
http://harpsax.com