[Harp-L] re : 10 Grand Civil War harmonica

If it's genuine, it ain't worth ten grand - even if General Grant/Lee (your choice) had it in his own back pocket. In my opinion it's only worth about $75 or so. Just because it's rare it doesn't mean that it has any kind of worth. It's the demand for an item that helps to bring up the price.

I remember seeing either this one or another one a lot like it a few years ago, but I don't remember where, though. If I remember correctly, it was claimed then that the wooden covers were a home-made affair, presumably to replace the ruined originals. It's too bad that we can't see the reeds, because if they were machine made, then you'd know it was made after 1880.