[Harp-L] cleaning

Matthew said: Built up saliva can cause performance issues and Kinya pollard
did an article about harmonicoccus strain in harmonica sessions.com

I worry about this myself, so I use harps with plastic combs so I can clean
them.  I use a few drops of dish soap (if we have it, I like antibacterial,
but since I sterilize the harps it's not necessary) in a Harbor Freight
ultrasonic cleaner (their large one, I think).  I run it for the built in
cycle three times with the mouthpiece side down, and two times with the back
side down.  Then I rinse it well under a faucet, shake it out as well as I
can, and soak it for a few minutes in a narrow juice glass full of 190 proof
grain alcohol.  Since alcohol absorbs water, than not only sterilizes it,
but if it has any rustable parts, like the screws, they should not have much
exposure to water.  I usually clean the harps I've been using once a month,
unless I've picked up a bug.

Bruce K Ritter

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain