Re: [Harp-L] How to safely Clean a Harmonica

Chromatics occasionally need the slide assembly cleaned. How often is determined by how much you slobber on them and the amount of oral boogers encased around the holes.

I just worked on a couple 270's for a customer. Most of the reed problems he was having was due to the dried boogers getting blown into the harp then jammed in the reed slots.

If you play them on a regular basis I would recommend cleaning the assembly at least once a month. Clean any buildup on the coverplates and mouthpiece as well. This will help your lips to glide freely when playing rather then getting stuck on
dried saliva.

As far as cleaning the plates, only do it when there is a need to replace reeds or valves or restoration work involved. Otherwise leave well enough alone.