[Harp-L] RE- harp L - Cleaning Harmonicas - Alternative to Ultrasonics

I used Ultrasonic cleaners for a while, including a very expensive one, and I am not really convinced that they are the best way to go.

For the price of a decent Ultrasonic cleaner, you can buy a great electric toothbrush, a water pic, a lifetime supply of diatomaceous earth, grapefruit seed extract, and baking soda and either polish or blast out all the debris in your reed plates.

You just trim the toothbrush bristles down to about 1/8th inch with a single edge razor blade, make a paste with the diatomaceous earth , baking soda, and grapefruit seed extract. & go over the reed plates. Use standard toothbrush for covers and combs.

If you never heard of diatomaceous earth, it is a very fine powder that is a form of silica - it is a very fine abrasive, and also absorbs odors. Organic. Non Toxic. The grapefruit seed extract has a very long shelf life and is a great antiseptic. Baking soda is a mild abrasive and another way to absorb yucky stuff and break it loose.

Water pics work like a charm to blast out debris without re-setting the action of reeds....

And you can also use the electric toothbrush and water pic to clean your teeth, something you can't do with an ultrasonic cleaner (well, maybe if you have dentures)

You can also use a standard toothbrush with bristles cut down.

More info & video on this topic: http://rsleigh.com/how-to-safely-clean-a-harmonica/

BTW, I  tried Kaboom, and the fumes just about knocked me out.  I'm afraid of that stuff. And I don't like the smell or taste of vinegar. Lemon - that sounds good to me, probabaly would be a great thing to add to my formula. Will have to try it - Thanks, Matt for that idea!

Richard Sleigh

P.O. Box 23
Boalsburg PA 16827

Join my list & get entertaining emails and special offers- go to  http://rsleigh.com/ on the left hand side, give me your name & email & you're in!