Re: [Harp-L] Does it have a name?

Actually, it's not a cadence.

Establishing a tonal center is not the primary character of a cadence, although it's one of its three elements.

Cadence, for Latin 'cado" - to fall - refers to the ending of a phrase of music, and it usually marks an important point in the music, either the end of the tune, the end of a section, or sometimes just the end of the first and second phrases of a pair, in descending order of importance.

A cadence achieves finality through elements of melody, rhythm and harmony. And it can be subverted by any one of the three.

A false or trick canence makes you believe it's heading for the home chord but then goes somewhere else.

A half-cadence is incocnlusive, usually because the melody note at the end of the cadence is not the tonic note of the chord.

Rhythmically, you can have cadences that are met5rically accented or unaccented (these used to be called masculine and feminine cadences).

The Wikipedia article on cadences is thorough and accurate.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance