Subject: [Harp-L] Cleaning harmonicas

Roger: here's that video, Jason's (Mongoose free method of cleaning
harmonicas - an in-joke):

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RwSiMEQvg_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RwSiMEQvg)

Jason posted it to youtube back in May, 2009 and used a Joe Spiers custom
harmonica as his demonstration model but this was and is his long-term way
of  cleaning his harps. He posted about it here on harp-l long before doing
the  video--wrote about it several times going back to 2005(?) I'm quite sure
the  purple Kaboom he used then is quite safe IF one cleans them the way he
did:  quickly (and lightly) scrubbing and leaving it on the cover and reed
plates for  only the brief amount of time he did--rinsing off with hot water
and  then dunking in 91% isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes to remove all
traces of the Kaboom. He needed a simple system to do on the road in Hotels
and  Motels and worked this out. Worked perfectly for him.

At some point in time Purple Kaboom (its then official name if I recall
correctly) became hard to find, so there IS a possibility they might have
changed the formula, but I believe Jason still uses it. I've seen his harps up
close and personal and he kept them very clean for his gigs. Those he
played were extremely expensive (although he now Reps and plays Manjis), so I
know he wouldn't risk any harm to his best harps.

As to Gary's comment about me using MAAS polish (I'm also Scotty  <G>), it
doesn't take the place of Kaboom which I don't personally use.  I'm not a
diatonic player so wouldn't use it on chromatics since it would  likely damage
the valves. I'm also not a top-notch gigging player who needs to  clean 7-8
diatonics a week the way Jason did. I use MAAS polish on my own reed
plates (because I like mine to look and feel like soft gold) and cover  plates
--any metal parts of my chromatics in fact, being extremely careful  not to
get it on the reeds themselves. And I also use the Isopropyl alcohol to  wipe
everything down afterwards (dipping the toothbrush into it as well),
occasionally using Clorox' Anywhere Hard Surface Spray  for sterilization.  My
(slightly OCD) system is a wee bit different than Jason's but I unabashedly
stole from him. <G>

I'd suggest you try Jason's system on one older or cheaper harp first--see
how it works out before you use it on your best (or any customs). Then
you'll know for sure if his system will work for you.

Best,

Elizabeth