Re: [Harp-L] Inappropriate harmonica [long]

This is an very interesting discussion. It is almost political or maybe
religious. Some say "sin is sin" others say well that depends on skill or
some other variable. I would suggest that there are two key issues needed
before one casts the first stone. First when you talk about "sin" you need
to always consider motive. The difference between murder and killing is
motive. The classic drunk stories fringe on a bit of ego and and bit of
selfish lack of respect. Even the honeymoon story has a bit of self
centered world view. But the trumpet story does not lead me to bad motives.
 It lead me to the second issue, manners. I have struggled with manners
much of my life. I have always felt like I was a bit behind the curve. I
wife's family on the other hand read Miss Manners. Manners are cultural.
Manners are learned or, sometimes not learned. The Foreigner may have been
operating from a different manners system.

So be careful before you cast that stone. It may not be sin but ignorance.
But I would say that our manners system should probably include not being a
Gus. There will always be that cool historic event when gus-ing brings the
world the next Little Walter but the ends do not justify the means. There
will always be those who live to break the rules, live outside the box, but
that does not negate the rules even though they are so talented that we
forget to offense.

Derwood