[Harp-L] Harp/ Comb sounds experiment

Dear harp-l ers
After yet another flurry of discussion about combs, as an experimental
psychologist I have decided to run a simple experiment to test the claims
that one can tell one diatonic harmonica from another. This is similar to
what Vern has already done, but with the advantage of further control and
the potential participation of anyone on harp-l, or anyone else interested
who you pass this on to. I would like to invite you all to take part.

This experiment has two hypotheses:

Hypothesis 1: Listeners can hear the differences between different combs/
types of diatonic harmonica under controlled conditions.

Hypothesis 2: Such differences are detectable, but not easy to detect.
Highly skilled listeners may be able to hear the differences, others may
not.

This experiment does not test the hypothesis that different harps, combs,
covers etc sound and feel different to the player. I think that is evidently
true. But can listeners hear the differences?

The experiment involves listening to 4 sound files then completing a
questionnaire that asks you if each track involves one or two harmonicas, if
you can hear when they switch, and if you can guess what types of harmonica
I am playing. It also asks about your levels of skill and experience with
harmonica. The whole thing should only take a few minutes to complete. The
questionnaire contains further information about what types of harps might
be involved.

The files were all recorded ?live¹ under standard conditions with the same
mic and recording settings and I did my best to play honestly ­ to neither
emphasise or conceal any differences in the sound of the two harps. Oh, and
in case you try and cheat the test, I took the harp out of my mouth and put
the same one back in sometimes, so you cannot be certain that any such
incidental sounds mean a change of instrument. I won¹t enter into further
discussions about the experiment until it is complete.

If you take part then remember that in listening tests of this type it is
important to guess ­ you may be able to hear the differences but you may not
be confident about it. I would also suggest that you listen to the files on
headphones or good speakers. You can listen to the files as often as you
like before making your judgements.
It is also important to send me back the questionnaire, even if you cannot
hear any differences.

You can download the 4 sound files and the questionnaire from the links
below. Please then email me the completed questionnaire off list.

rhhammersley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don¹t, don¹t, don¹t email the questionnaire to harp-l.

I shall keep this experiment open for a week or so until I have a reasonable
number of responses. Then I shall report the results on Harp-l, and give you
the correct answers. If there is a ?winner¹ who performs best, then I shall
name him or her.

To download these files either click on the links, or paste them into your
browser:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105416698/The%20diatonic%20harmonica%20listening%20
test%20questionnaire.docx

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105416698/The%20diatonic%20harmonica%20listening%20