[Harp-L] Re: Customizing XB-40

Hi Steve,

If a reed squawks and goes up in pitch when played at full volume, it
usually indicates that one side of the reed is touching something near the
rivet end - sometimes a burr or foreign object lodged near the end, but
more often, the reed has not been riveted dead center in the slot.  When
played at low volume it causes no trouble, but with the wider swing of full
volume, the reed swings down and meets the foreign object or the slot,
effectively shortening it and raising its pitch.  If you remove the
reedplate, sometimes you can simply tap with a tap hammer a little
screwdriver or some such tool set against the side of the rivet, and shift
the reed over to the center of the slot.  Or maybe just use a slip of .001"
shim to clear the obstruction.  Or even just rotate the reed on its rivet,
cheating it a little to the opposite side to provide clearance.  Worst
case, you can remove and re-rivet the reed.  You'll know more once you've
removed the reedplate and examined the reed in a light box or a desk lamp
with a piece of white paper set in front of it.

Best regards,
Rick