[Harp-L] Re: Customizing XB-40

There is a modification that I do with the combs of my low-keyed XB-40s.
 Even though the XB-40's reed cell clearance is the same as that for the
Super Chromonica, which has the same reeds,  the responder reeds give the
XB-40's regular reeds an extra boost, so that they swing farther than Super
Chromonica reeds - so much so that the lowest reeds may strike their cell
floor if played with enough force.  I chisel away some of the cell floor
from under any problem reeds to give them a little more clearance.  This is
not something that could have been taken care of in the comb's injection
mold, because all the parts of the comb must be of similar thickness to
avoid irregular shrinkage of the ABS plastic as it cools after removal from
the mold.  But there is no problem with thinning a reed cell floor on a
finished comb.  If you should chisel away too much and break into the
middle valve cell, the hole can easily be filled with ABS shavings melted
into a paste with acetone.  Just be careful not to chisel away any area of
a cell floor that lies underneath a reed valve.  This modification allows
me to get more volume out of the low notes of the low keys, without the
reeds rattling against their cell floor.

Best regards,
Rick