Re: [Harp-L] cryogenic brass reeds

That's interesting. The other night my wife and I were watching an episode of "How it's Made" featuring kitchen knives. It surprised me to see them cooling them in liquid nitrogen after heating (dang, that's some kind of quench! lol) Now considering that copper alloys soften rather than harden when they are quenched, that cryo process might have merit... Heck I dunno, I'm just a machinist. Is there a metallurgist in the house?  Here's the kitchen knife video... cryo process at about 1:15  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKEvqNJ3R7g   -chuck

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Hale <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-L list <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:11:20 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [Harp-L] cryogenic brass reeds

I have become curious about claims for freezing my reeds to double the
life. Anyone with personal experience?

Cryogenic Process:
CRR, or cryogenic resonance restoration, is the gradual lowering (1 degree
per minute to -325 degrees)and raising of the temperature of the
instrument. Theoretically, it relieves stress and tension in the metal and
improves the instrument's response and resonance. (Claims to reduce stress
fractures, the main reason for reed breakage.)

"This is a controversial method and the jury is still out as to whether it
actually makes a difference. It has yet to be proven in blind listening
tests." http://www.musicservices.co.nz/brass_temper

Robert Hale

See you at SPAH2012

Spiral Advocate