Re: [Harp-L] cryogenic brass reeds

I don't know about cryo treatment of copper alloys. It's used with high alloy content steel that transforms sluggishly on hardening. Many shops use liquid nitrogen for this purpose. The makes a normal person's eyes roll back in their head explanation is the transformation of retained austenite. It's commonly used on some tool steels as well as the high carbon stainless generally used for expensive knives and dental instruments.

I did a brief web search on cryogenic treatment of copper alloys. I found only one metallurgical journal article on the subject and it dealt specifically with beryllium copper although it mentioned copper alloys in general in the introductory section. Apparently cryo treatment does result in stress relief. I'm not sure that stress relief is worth the trouble for harmonica reeds although I could be wrong. It might increase the life but it would also remove some of the work hardening resulting from forming. It seems to me that a harder, i. e. stronger, reed is a good thing. It does appear that liquid nitrogen would be adequate for the job although you couldn't do the gradual temperature reduction with a bucket of liquid N2.