Re: [Harp-L] Old Time Harmonica

You call that 'Celtic' Joe? OK...Irish/Scots roots maybe, but the US derivative is quite a different beast in my book. To me, US southern string music is whites  trying to sound like pre-civil war blacks trying to sound to sound like
whites playing music from the 'old countries'. Not only is the rhythm completely different, but, with a few exceptions, the tunes are either completely new or have morphed into something entirely new.
'Soldiers Joy' and 'Fishers Hornpipe' are, for example, tunes that were/are played here in Oz, and don't sound much different from renditions in the US or Ireland, but a lot of the US stuff has been suffused with the African tinge so that you'd have a hard time connecting it with the old country. Then again, other than just pointing to the Afro thing, there is a general spirit too, that entered that music, that is simply 'American'.
Charles Frazier's excellent novel 'Cold Mountain' devotes some space to this; worth a read for anyone interested; which probably doesn't include you Joe, as you have too much of that European sophistication to like such lowdown stuff, unlike an Aussie bogan such as
Yours truly,
RD

>>> Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> 29/05/2012 10:31 >>>
Nothing negative possible. I have to be honest. I am not a fan of Celtic music so if I thought this was stupendous, it must be stupendous. Do you find the breathing easier in first OR second positions. I'm being serious here.

smo-joe