Re: [Harp-L] Airtightedness

David Payne wrote:
<If you think something should be a word, just start using it as if it were one.

Why not?  The word "Chortle" appeared for the first time in Lewis Carroll's poem "Jabberwocky." ("'Oh frabjous day! Calloo! Callay!' he chortled in his joy.")

Note that "frabjous" apparently didn't make it to the same heights of common usage as "chortle," though both made their first appearance in the same sentence.  So you can make words up, but that doesn't mean they're going to mean anything to anyone else ten (or a hundred) years later.

Regarding "airtightedness," I have my doubts.  I might like it better if "airtighted" made sense.  I'm pretty sure I never heard anyone say "I airtighted that harp".  I doubt anyone every thought it.

But hey, maybe it'll catch on.  And then you can have yourself a good chortle.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick