Re: [Harp-L] cross tuned chromatic machines

On May 26, 2012, at 8:58 PM, Slim Heilpern wrote:

> Hi Jon -
>
> Just curious, did have the mic casing touching the harmonica when you recorded this?

I was wondering the same thing. As I have been listening to a sound sample from Jon and am hard pressed to hear what he is hearing? BUT...I'm still listening  :)

> I don't hear those artifacts between notes when I record cross-tuned (or straight tuned). Not only that, but if you do the transition slowly on anything other than a CBH, you hear both notes when the slide is engaged half way -- IOW, the sound never stops when moving from one note to the next. So I'm puzzled as to what we are actually hearing on your recording and if it really has to do with cross-tuning or not. Perhaps if the mic is close enough, there is an effect caused by the air pressure switching decks?

A-Haa, like I was saying, the slide is an 'air splitter' and the sound I'm listening for is a buffeting sound. Like what one might get if running a hand in front of a fan..OR playing with a fan going IN the room. I tried a CBH and wasn't getting a thing.  ...Hmmm still working on it?
smo-joe