[Harp-L] Re: Race, Gender & The Blues

Well I wasn't going to jump into this discussion, but since I've been
name-checked by Rick, I'll just confirm that yes I am
African-American/Black.  Beyond that I'll say that I'm always happy to see
other black faces at SPAH, and occasionally that does happen.   There was a
young man named Julian a couple of years ago who wowed everyone with his
Stevie-style chromatic playing.   I hope he comes back for more.

Rick noted I play jazz.  Well, more accurately I aspire to play jazz and am
a work in progress in that regard.  I can and will play blues at jams,  but
the blues doesn't hold my interest much unless the rhythm section is really
good.  I mean REALLY good.   And while skin color shouldn't necessarily
make a difference in that regard, in my personal experience, it often
does..   Sorry if that offends some of you, but I'm just callin' it like I
see and hear it.

Ok, I better quit this conversation before I dig myself in too deep.