[Harp-L] To pedal or not to pedal, that is the question

Well, I just bought the DigiTech RP355 plus the patches from Richard Hunter, and I got to say I'm impressed. Some great blues tones from the amp models, plus some very nice reverb and delay effects for chromatic.
I actually bought the pedal for the express purpose of improving the tone of the chromatic, which it does quite nicely, but it's the diatonic blues that is really served well by the pedal.
Only a few months back I invested quite a lot in a not inexpensive small tube amp. Now I'm thinking the pedal sounds better! (going through my clean Roland AC60).
The real advantage of the pedal is the versatility it offers. At the press of a button you can get a new sound. With a tube amp you pretty much get the same sound.
So the question is: can effects pedals really replace the sound of the tube amp?