[Harp-L] Duct Tape

David Payne wrote: "I was flattered to hear my words chiseled in granite at the entrance to New York Harbor.
I read this again, and I caught the duct-taping Marine Bands to change the tone. Now,
pray tell, where did you guys put this duct tape on these Marine Bands? Whatever you did,
you changed air flow. I'd like to know a little more about what you did, for historical
purposes. I do a lot of history pages on my Web site and one I am working on is harmonica
modifications through history. Any time before 1 second ago is history in my book. " Well, I've put my foot in it this time. Firstly, by misattributing your quote, and then by stumbling down memory lane. While many would say that my playing would be improved (or at least their listening experience) by putting the duct tape over the holes and both reed plates, the actual explanation is quite a bit more prosaic, if that's the word I'm looking for. We would wrap the duct tape lengthwise around both  plates several times. Sometimes we would use a sticky backed colored cloth tape made for fixing books. At any rate, you'd trim it so it didn't cover up the back side. I think it may have kept the plates from rattling or resonating so much. At least  it kept them from falling off, which they would have, being kept on by rubber bands, after the nails getting lost, after  having to pry the plates off to remove the Bull Durham flake that was causing the reed to stick. In those days, we'd pass them back and forth with anyone that played harp-it's a wonder we didn't get TB-from each other or from the old guys we'd drink wine with at the park.As for your quote being at the entrance of New York Harbor, I'm afraid I've misled you. Since I've not ever been there, I'm afraid that your quote and the granite block to which it is affixed exist, like Schroedinger's cat, in the quantum state, awaiting actual observation or lack of same to become part of the present, and in a very short time, our history. I very much enjoy your website, especially the part where you shot the Marine Band with the Enfield rifle. Afraid the duct tape wouldn't do much good in that instance though.Cheers, emily
53yr Old Woman, Looks 25
Mom reveals a simple wrinkle trick that has angered doctors..
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4fbdb8ab88daf1664796st02vuc