Re: [Harp-L] Koch Chromatic

On May 23, 2012, at 5:38 AM, David Payne wrote:

>> From: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: May 23, 2012 5:37:39 EDT
>> To: Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Koch Chromatic
>>

>> Just when I think Joe Leone could not possibly get any more interesting, he reveals he keeps a bottle of whale oil for his trumpet. How long have you had that?
>> So Joe, you do not recommend whale oil on slides?
>>
>> David
>> www.elkriverharmonicas.com

I may have given the wrong impression Dave. I suspect that the oil is not whale oil but is a 'quasi' trade name. It is very very thin machine oil. About 1/2 as thin or less than mineral oil. Used mostly in watch repair. Placed on the 17 (or 21) jewels. (btw the jewels in a watch are not actually jewels..they are glass..but the cost to make them puts them into the jewel value range).
A lot of the stuff and tools I have used come from the clock/watch/jewelry worlds. Springs, screws, barrel nuts, inserts, yada yada. :) and a lot comes from electronics. Every time I look at things I look for instrument repair usage. Right now I'm working on a trumpet, a clarinet, and several old lighters.. Return springs, felts, fibre wafers, pads, and like that.
s-j