Re: [Harp-L] "Race, Gender, & the Blues"

On a cultural level I think I can see the frustration of the AA blues community with AA culture and its abandonment of their folk music and those sub genres that have been created from it, such as modern blues. If we contrast it to the Anglo American culture and look at Bluegrass, which is a sub genre of folk music borrowing from old time, blues and jazz, but none the less an Anglo American creation, and far from anywhere near pop or main stream you see many young artists emerging creating music their forefathers would have instantly recognized as the evolution of the genre and the carrying of the torch on through generations. This is almost non-existent in the AA community. On one hand you can say the AA community is at the cutting edge of cultural creation and on the other...

I wonder how many AA harmonica players there are on Harp-L.

m.