Re: [Harp-L] Re TUNing Reeds

If I remember correctly, Chris Michalek used to "temper" (his word) reed plates in the oven in oil before he worked on them. he said it made them more stable, but that was then.......

Thanks Jerry,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 3:22:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re TUNing Reeds

Did your friend say why this was a good idea?

I don't know anyone who does this. The heat from the oil would have no beneficial effect, and the oil itself would simply gum things up.

One thing that some folks do while tuning is to keep the reedplates that they're working on in a warming blanket. This keeps condensation from forming on the reeds when you play them and makes it easier to tune accurately without the added weight of moisture.

Winslow

VOTE Winslow Yerxa for SPAH president, with L J Atkison for vice president
Winslow for SPAH President (Facebook)

Winslow4Prez (YouTube)
Chair, SPAH entertainment committee
Chair, SPAH awards committee
Member, SPAH convention planning committee
Staff, SPAH Convention event operation