 From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Chuck Linville <linvillec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] ...Why do reeds go out?

If a reed won't tune up, it's usually about to break.

I do what I call the "100-plink test" if a reed seems suspect.

Plinking is just raising the tip of a reed a few millimeters off the reedplate, then letting it go. The resulting sound often sounds like "plink," hence the name.

I plink a reed 100 times in quick succession with a thin blade or stylus. When you get handy at this it takes less than a minute. I count to eight 12 times, then add a few more to get to 100.

If the reed survives this test, you can probably tune it up and play it for awhile. But often a reed that seems immune to tuning will start to sound dull, then will fail to spring out of its slot, and finally will break off.

Winslow

VOTE Winslow Yerxa for SPAH president, with L J Atkison for vice president
Winslow for SPAH President (Facebook)

Winslow4Prez (YouTube)
Chair, SPAH entertainment committee
Chair, SPAH awards committee
Member, SPAH convention planning committee
Staff, SPAH Convention event operation