Re: [Harp-L] Suggestion for playing "Ashokan Farewell"

Ken Burns did it with unaccompanied violin. Of course in his documentary it was background music for pictures and voice-over. It requires dead-on intonation and just-right vibrato.

Our band does it starting unaccompanied, adding second violin, then finger-picked guitar and finally bass and piano.  We reason that changing the accompaniment by adding instruments keeps it from being monotonous.  Unless you are a diatonic purist, C or D chromatic works very well.

Changing keys for the repeat might also add some variety.

Vern