RE: [Harp-L] Close encounter with an RP 150 -- huge disappointment

martin oldsberg wrote:
<Like quite a few on the list IÂve felt inclined towards testing one of the Digitech RP gadgets. <When I saw an add for a 150 with a really good price I bought it. (I know the 150 is the little <brother in the family, but as I said, the price was convincing.)
<I connected it to the PA, chose one of the settings that had sounded passable at home, and it was <total crap -- as well as feeding back at very humble volume. Impossible, unusable.
<Is there anyone with the same experience who can give me hope for this thing? I own an equalizer, <but otherwise IÂm not big on gear.

<Obviously Richard Hunter has managed to find some great sounds for various RP pedals (samples on <his homepage) and as far as I understand it quite a few others are happy as well. CanÂt see the <problem here. (There was for instance absolutely no bass response, neither through PA nor the <Roland combo.)

Martin, the RP150 sounds great with harp if you know what you're doing.  Your problem is this: out of the box the RP is designed for guitar (particularly heavy metal guitar), not harp, and it takes a lot of work to set it up so that it works well with harp.  It took me hundreds of hours of careful experimentation to create patches for the RPs that work well with harp.

You can a) put in hours (maybe tens or hundreds of hours) of your own time to make the thing sound good with harp, b) buy my patches for the RP150 for $25, or c) throw the device away. What I can tell you for sure is that you're not going to stumble across great harp sounds on the RP without putting in some serious time.

My patch set for the RP150/155 sells for $25.  If it was me, I'd spend the $25.  I guarantee that you'll get a lot farther a lot faster if you do.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick