Re: [Harp-L] "I don't feel ready" to join a Jam

As a relative beginner who can't yet play ear, I certainly agree with JP. If you can find the groove, then you should sound pretty good, especially if you don't overplay. Pick your spots with a few tasty licks. Works OK for me.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John F. Potts
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:52 PM
  Subject: [Harp-L] "I don't feel ready" to join a Jam
   with JP.

  "In my world, the best place to start is always the melody."

  Hard to disagree with this premise, but, I happen to think playing
  accurate melodies can be difficult and certainly very challenging for
  a beginner, especially at a jam where the tempo may be very brisk and
  the material unfamiliar.

  IMHO, there's nothing wrong with riffing or vamping off the groove,
  even if  you can't nail the melody.  A beginner can manage to sound
  passable playing rhythm oriented licks, but if you don't nail a
  recognizable melody accurately, you won't sound any good whether you
  are a beginner or not.

  Another thing:  Playing rhythmically does not necessarily mean
  playing chords. Try hard to KEEP GOOD TIME. Feel the beat! If a
  player who is unsure of what he is doing can cop the groove and not
  overplay, he can usually get by with reasonable success. LISTEN TO
  THE DRUMMER. If you've never played with drums before, it may be seem
  overwhelming, but relax--it's actually easier to play WITH a drummer
  because the drums lay down a rhythmic structure you can work around
  and off of which means you can actually play less and still sound ok.
  Simple repeating rhythmic licks are perfectly acceptable.  You can
  always go on to build from there as you gain more experience.

  FWIW,

  JP

  -----
  No virus found in this message.