Re: [Harp-L] stainless steel reeds - hi, lo

SS is different from copper-alloy in that it has lower density and higher elasticity.  A SS reed can be designed to duplicate the pitch, tone, and response of any copper-alloy reed.  It will be a little thinner where it flexes near the rivet and a little thicker where it swings near the tip. I have a chromatic with only one SS reed that no one has been able to identify by playing or listening to it.

Assuming that is what Seydel has done,  the only perceptible differences to be expected in the steel reeds are longer fatigue life and higher price. That is what I have experienced in my Saxony chromatics.

I would not characterize either metal as being more suitable for higher or lower pitched harmonicas.

Vern