Re: [Harp-L] No Effects or Delay?

Hey Joey-

I've gone back and forth on the delay pedal thing, going for long
stretches with zero pedals and at other times using delay and the BBE
Sonic Stomp.  Here is what I can tell you:

-It is always good to have a delay pedal in case you get a taste for
it.  By all means, find one whose sound you like and carry it in your
kit.

-Most delay pedals sound pretty much alike.  In fact, the low-priced
Delta Lab DD1 pedal available at Guitar Center sounds great for
$59.95. I own it and it rocks.

-If you play blues you will probably never use the swoopy, spacey long
delay settings.  What you need is only a bit of delay or a single slap
back effect to fatten up your tone.  Delay and reverb are the glue
that sticks your sound together with the other instruments.  It is a
great sound for blues.

-I use the MXR Carbon Copy analog delay, and I use it only for slap
back.  I've tried a LOT of delay pedals, and this one has the warmest,
most natural sounding slap back.

-One mistake many new players make is to slather on the delay or
reverb until it sounds like it's under water.  Go easy, using as
little as you can to get the effect you want.  Your amp has great tone
already.

-Use the delay pedal for effect.  Don't just leave it on all the time:
 Hit it during solos (on or off) occasionally just to change things
up.

And, have fun with it.

-Rick Davis