RE: [Harp-L] Your First Time

My dad was a drummer in his youth, and some of my earliest memories are of him playing with a group at this campground we spent our summer weekends at. There was a pavilion and a stage, and folks would come from all over the campground to dance at the pavilion. There was always a guitar around the house, too, and he would sometimes play and sing a few songs. I don't know that he had any particular love for Jimmy Reed but he would often do "Big Boss Man", which was pretty much the first riff he taught me when I was about 8. When I look back, it just seems that music was always around in my family when I was young. The blues caught me in my teens, through some interesting channels: Thorogood led me to Chuck Berry, and somehow I caught onto Clapton's blues roots, and then of course there was Stevie Ray. I traveled backward through the history of the genre from those guys.
I picked up the guitar and put it down more times than I can count over my lifetime, never quite reaching any level of competence beyond "decent rhythm player", finally putting music aside almost totally for the better part of a decade while I focused on a career (which didn't work out) and a marriage (which also didn't work out). When I came back to music, I decided that singing would be an easier re-entry, despite having no vocal training and a (not-entirely-undeserved) reputation for being tone deaf. After a few years of working on my vocals in front of no one, I found a blues band that was generous enough to accept me. And THAT led me to playing harmonica, which has been a joyous experience. What I love about the instrument is that for beginners, it's not too hard to get a usable sound out of it, and that's where it hooks you. And the more you play, the more you understand how much there is to learn, and you begin to hear the nuances in the way the pros play. It's a terrific instrument with a low barrier to entry and a great challenge to master.

Scott