Re: [Harp-L] Valve Value

The value of complete half-valving (1-6 draw reeds; 7-4 blow reeds) extends beyond simply adding blow bends to the 1-6 holes and draw bends to the 7-10 holes.  Each blow bend is lower by a half-step. Some get more. Same with the draw

The additional valves allow the slight bends that are used in creating vibrato and adding inflection to notes that would not otherwise allow this.

Standard chromatics with full windsavers (all blow & draw) are capable of single reed blow and draws on every windsaver hole. Professional chromatic players have been doing this for centuries. Others not so much; they bought a chromatic so they didn't have to bend.

The reason all the holes are half-valved is to provide a uniform tone (timbre) that would otherwise vary if some reeds were valved and other not.

Half-valving does not alter standard bends: draw 1-4,6 and blow 8-10.

Half-valving prevents overblows or overbends and overdraws.

Hope this helps,
Phil