Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic Positions

I don't teach harmonica, but I would say there shouldn't be any set curriculum. When I teach banjo I tailor the lessons to the student. With a total beginner I keep them in a standard G tuning till they know their way around the instrument and have mastered basic right hand technique. Then I will move on to other tunings. If I am teaching someone who already plays another instrument the move comes much quicker. With harmonica I think I would start a complete beginner in first position, playing basic major scale melodies, if they were interested in blues I would move pretty quickly to second position. At that point I would explain that when you use a different hole on the harmonica as the tonic or root note, you are playing in a different mode and harmonica players like to call them positions.

http://www.homegrownstringband.com/RoosterRick.html http://www.homegrownstringband.com/Books.html http://www.homegrownstringband.com/teaching.html