Re: [Harp-L] u-blocking comparison

Micheal is correct.  U-blocking can provide fast and clean notes, but
bending on the lower holes on the lower pitched harmonicas can be
problematic.  However, it can be done, and if well practiced, will produce
a simliar result to the other embouchures.  U-blocking works well with the
upper end blow bends, though, and can allow for some interesting playing.

I try to teach all three embouchures to every student with whom I work , as
well as I can, too.  I also encourage them to learn whatever they can
whenever they can from whomever they can.  Every technique learned is
another tool in the tool chest.

I can also verify that, while not everyone can curl their tongue for the
U-block, not everyone can purse their lips the way the lip block is
typically demonstrated either.  We have to work with what our genetics have
given us.  In the world of brass instrument players, some people play
instruments with large mouthpieces because they are genetically better
suited to them.  I had to have the largest french horn mouthpiece available
at the time; and I, likewise, have difficulty with most of the methods of
performing the lip block embouchure.  So, with my students, I do what I can
to help them learn to try the embouchure several different ways (for their
own exploration and practice), and I play with them with the only version
of it that I seem to be able to manage, courtesy of some discussion at our
HOOT meetings with Micheal Rubin and Jimi Lee.  At the time, I had a
student whose tongue actually forked when he tried to curl it, but a
standard lip block worked well, so I had to develop something similar so
that I could work with him.  My version of it basically makes a U-block
with the inside of the lip.  I haven't been able to make it quickly precise
yet, and I don't get a great advantage on the low end of the harmonica with
it yet, but it is another tool to develop.

Cara