Re: [Harp-L] U blocking / Puckering

Well, like Buck was saying that he doesn't have a point in the center of his lips. I DO have one. And when playing trumpet, it was almost like a small hemorhoid. Sooo, I started playing out of the right side of my mouth. Problem was that when I had my plastic surgery I no longer had natural teeth, couldn't get a lock down plate because I couldn't get posts put in as there wasn't enough bone. With nothing to brace against, there went trumpet. Out the proverbial window.

So you say that you always thought of pucker was a beginner method. Har har hardy har har. No, I don't think so. I think it's an advanced method. Here's why. When I bought my first harp (1951), it had a waxed paper wrapper which had a diagram of how you were supposed to play. It was a picture of LIP blocking. So following a pattern of ascertainment, I would say that since it was there staring me in the face..ON paper, that tongue blocking is THE beginner method. And pucker had to be DERIVED by the player (whom...chuckle...may have tossed the little waxed paper, their mom threw the garbage out..and now they are STUCK).

smo-j