Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic: Advantages of each position

To me it is about the button.  I look for scales with either mostly no
button or mostly all button.  Scales with lots of button movement can
be tough.  There are major scale keys that are tough, say E major,
that are great in blues!

I did buy a B chromatic because I figured if a scale was hard, it
would probably be easy 1/2 step away.  I have been right.  There was a
song in Floyd Collins that wanted a complex melody in E major.  I
picked up the B chromatic and breezed through it in concert E, which
felt like F to me.  I have also had bandleaders insist on certain
button involved sounds that I could only get on the B harp.  Other
than that, I am all C chromatic.

I pretty much insist that all my students learn chromatic.  If they
just do not want to, I won't make them, but they seem to have a much
harder time with advanced diatonic work.  A good understanding of the
chromatic makes diatonic leagues easier, imo.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com