Re: [Harp-L] Sax and Harmonica

I must say all this info -including Greg Heumann's recent post - are of great interest to me.
I like to hear how we got to now from then.
Frankie Trumbauer used a C mel. Why him, in the dance band/jazz oeuvre and nobody else?
Love Frankie, and so Lest not us forget, did Lester.
RD

Rick Dempster
E-Resources/Serials
LR&A
RMIT Libraries
>>> Alfred Barten <vr1139@xxxxxxxxx> 10/03/12 7:39 AM >>>
When Adolph Sax created the sax back in the 1840s he had in mind two
families: Bb-Eb for band use and C-F for orchestral use. The sax was
adopted quickly by bands across Europe but was never fully accepted by
orchestras. The result is the Bb-Eb family became the standard and the C-F
never really materialized. However, in the early part of the 20th century
the C-melody was widely marketed for home use. It's selling points were
that saxophones were relatively easy to learn (certainly when compared to
the clarinet - I play both) and any family with a piano already had lots of
sheet music that could be played on the C-melody since no transposition was
required. The movement was killed off by the Great Depression. You can
still get vintage C-melody saxes on eBay. There is a company from New
Zealand (Acquilasax) that now makes C-melody saxes based on the old
patterns. In general - I have a vintage C-mel - they are quieter than
standard saxes because they were designed for home use. They do have a
sweeter tone.

-- Al

Alfred Barten
Retired ... *and all that jazz!*