Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Exhibitions/Competitions ..... what does it take to get ha

Advertising! - getting the word out - either on harmonica lists or word of
mouth, Jim. And it doesn't take money - far from it. Simply getting on the
phone, using ingenuity and one's innate smarts (Val Redler-Caltabellotta
proved  this to us in the GSHC Club these past 3 years).

If harmonica players don't know there IS an event, then how can anyone
expect a great turnout?

I'd also NOT focus on the financial aspect (although for  some it might be
an 'extra' incentive), but what's a lot more  interesting for most harmonica
players (I'm one of the shy ones who'd never  dream of 'competing') is the
getting together with other like-minded  people and the sheer fun of playing
together both before and after - so try  to make that available too if
possible? (IF there are any local evening jams you  know about you could add a
link for those who want to stay over).

The best part of ANY Harmonica Convention (for me, anyway) is the
wonderful camaraderie - and constant playing together of so many disparate  people
in groups in the hallways (or outside). Your main event (the competition)
might be the 'draw', but turn it into an overall fun harmonica gathering and I
 guarantee you'll attract more real harmonica players.

There are numerous harmonica lists on which you can post the information -
yet I see very little info about these kinds of events advertised. I don't
believe any legitimate site would turn down allowing you to post  about a
harmonica event. What about Danny's gig list right here on harp-l?  - and
adding the info to your 'tag line' in posts as it draws  closer?

When Val took over the Presidency of The Garden State Harmonica Club we had
 no real budget (it's non-profit of course) so she spent an inordinate
amount of  her own personal time contacting local newspapers - making phone
calls, sending  out invitations, posting info about our club far in advance of
our  Festival. It paid off hugely: a couple of local New Jersey newspapers
were  intrigued enough to send reporters out to our club meetings to interview
 many players and take photos for their local editions. (Not that I wanted
anyone  to see my photo plastered on local New Jersey editions, but if it
helped the  club I bit the bullet). This was purely due to Val's inherent
ability to create  excitement about us (her previous careers as both a teacher
and real estate  saleswoman coming to the fore) ;) She's amazing and a
dynamo.

 In turn, this attracted many new members who then came  to the November
Festival. It takes WORK and hands-on  involvement. Enlist other members of
your organization  to help - and your advertising should extend further than
your home  state: I'd suggest trying to attract people within reasonable
driving  distances from outside Ohio and WVa.  Then - List decent local hotels
(or other facilities) where visitors from further away could stay over  or
alternatively provide a website link to the local Chamber  of Commerce (and
inform THEM about your event as well!)

Hope this helps a wee bit.

Elizabeth

"Message: 8